Hello

Welcome to my blog about my journeys to Ecuador and Peru. Feel free to subscribe to my posts via email by entering your address in the box above.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Quito!

Hola! I have made it to Quito safely and everything is going great! But really, nothing has gone wrong and I'm loving it. The city is beautiful, warm, and huge of course. I walk to a bus type thing every morning squeeze into it to go to my "work." So far, I've been hanging out with a small group of teenagers who are deaf and also have cognitive disabilities. Hardly any communication yet, but it's still great! After my time there, I take the bus back to the same spot (which is such a relief, one less area of the city to remember), and then I get lost on my way to my Spanish classes. My lessons are Mon-Wed for 2 hours and all 1:1. Its been a tad boring with review (present tense irregulars for those who know what I'm talking about), but I really like my maestra and am overall very happy with them.

I have had a ton of delicious food and most of it is stuff that should have made my American stomach sick, but all is well! For example...
-apples (although they were from the US...?)
-salad
-berry smoothie
-juice made with water from who knows where
-pork/pork skin (I think)
-watermelon
-and I've brushed my teeth with the water

My host family is fairly wealthy, and they are Christians. The girl is 16 and knows far more about American media than I do...she is obsessed with Glee. Her English is astonishing, mostly because she truly wants to learn, and she completely immerses herself in it. The house is very nice, warm shower,  big room to myself, full kitchen, shiny wood floors and two cute little dogs.

Again, everything is going great...hopefully this post gave those of you who are curious a good picture of what I'm up to! I am so excited to improve my Spanish, and so glad I get to spend four months in South America. Thank you for all the encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment