Hello

Welcome to my blog about my journeys to Ecuador and Peru. Feel free to subscribe to my posts via email by entering your address in the box above.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Some change in plans

It's been an emotional last few days!

On Tuesday, I found out that the school I had been at would be starting their mid year vacations on Thursday, and so yesterday was my last day with the kids. I totally wasn't expecting this, and I was (am) heartbroken. I was not mentally prepared to say my forever goodbye, did not have enough pictures with them, and I wasn't excited to spend a week somewhere other than this school.

Thankfully everyone was there the last two days (their all absent a lot, no idea why). On Wednesday I told Cristhian at least three times that if he slept in his house tomorrow I would cry, please be here on Thursday. (I'm quite proud that I was able to communicate all that!) I got the Alba's phone number (picture of her below) and was invited to the school cook's mother's house in the country (??). The last day was fun, we spent a lot of time with the kids who are blind dancing. I danced individually with all my kids and told them my good byes verbally in English quite fast. Klever wouldn't let me take his hands while we were dancing but he did give me a big hug. Cristhian was very unhappy to be dancing with me, but when I was talking a mile a minute to him he just nodded his head laughing at me and pretending he was listening. Lesly too was funny when I was talking with her, they all had never really seen me use my voice to communicate. I loved that I could tell them just how much I cared for them and everything they had taught me. Usually I'm to self conscious to be that honest with people. We also got put in the room with the blind man to sing, but instead of spending my last day yelling at them to do the actions, I just sat on the floor and hung out with them while belting out the songs so the blind man thought we were working. It was quite fun for me and Cristhian, but the others didn't realize how weird it was that I was totally slacking off.


Cynthia and my little friend who's name I only know in
Sign Language showing off their work to Cristhian







These kids are so much different than any other kids I've ever gotten to know before. I visited the daycare I'll spend a week at today and was reminded of how kids are kids everywhere. They have snot dripping from their nose, they rush to show you the little boat they made, they love water, they're hard to understand, and they are always oh so cute. Each of them is beautifuly unique, and so very valuable. But when it comes down to it, they are all so similar through out the world. In my mind, Pato, Stephano, Klever, Cristhian, Alba and Lesly were different though. The combination of their uncommon language, the fact that they're Ecuatorianos, their disabilities, and their age (not really kids) made them so different and so memorable.

So I guess I'll be spending next week at a GuardarĂ­a. This daycare is funded by the government for families who otherwise wouldn't be able to pay for childcare. There are at least 100 kids, all under five. It's for sure not what I signed up for but I love kids and I really am happy to serve where ever I'm needed. I'm glad I get to explore another part of the city, learn how to take the bus, and actually practice my Spanish. It should be fun!

The same day I found out the terrible news, there were some other changes in plans, but this time for the better. I am going to the JUNGLE. Woot!

Some pictures of where I'm going from their Facebook page
I had been looking and looking and emailing for something to do after my time with this organization ended and for when my group from Carpe Diem arrived. I finally decided that being independent and not asking for help are NOT the same thing, and so I mentioned my dilemma to my coordinator. He knows this organization, has been on this same trip, and the dates line up perfectly. It sounds like so much fun. Birds, anacondas, monkeys. Swimming in the lagoon, beautiful sunsets, hammocks, taking a canoe to get there, no electricity, piranha fishing.

Sunday, I am going to the mountain Cotopaxi. (or Volcano, I can't keep straight which is which). So many changes, but I am excited to experience all these new things!





No comments:

Post a Comment